Kate Reads

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet - Darynda Jones Charley Davidson is quickly becoming one of my favorite urban fantasy heroines. The first books in the series established her as a quick and witty character who has no problem going after what she wants. Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet is no exception, with Charley back and sarcastic as usual. In addition, we have our ultimate bad boy Reyes Farrow, and the scenes between him and Charley continue to be smoking hot. I did miss the presence of Garrett Swopes, who showed up once or twice, but not nearly as much as I would have liked. That is an example of another strength of these books. The side characters are so well developed and interesting that I not only care about Charley, but the entire crew surrounding her! One thing I enjoy in a book is no matter how fantastic the setting is, or what special powers a character has, we see that the protagonists are still people, with believable emotions and reactions to what they experience. Charley is very affected by what happened to her in the previous book, and it shows, making her that much more of a realistic character to read. Two other characters who were more fleshed out in this book were Charley’s sister Gemma and her stepmother. It is nice to see those relationships evolve after not much interaction in the first few books. The only thing keeping this book from being a five for me were some of the random situations Charley found herself in that I felt were unnecessary. Maybe it is set up for a future plot line, but to me, it was a distraction. It didn’t appear to build up either the greater storyline that flows through all the books, or the specific conflict that was resolved at the end of this one. If you’re already a fan of Charley, then you definitely don’t want to miss Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet, and if you’re not, what are you waiting for? The books just keep getting better and better and are definitely worth reading. I don’t know if I can wait until July for the next one!