Kate Reads

172 Hours on the Moon - Johan Harstad, Tara F. Chace So, I heard a lot about 172 Hours on the Moon before it came out. And I was intrigued. Teenagers on the moon? Secret government base? Sign me up. At the end of the day, 172 Hours has pros and cons (as all books do) and I almost liked it in theory better than in practice. This book had one important thing going for it: I couldn't put it down. I read it on the train, on the bus, at work, at home, and I blazed through it, because I very badly wanted to know the crazy plot twist at the end. As many people have said, 172 Hours is more of a horror story than straight up science fiction. The problem is that after a lot of buildup, and some interesting plot devices, the ending seemed sort of hurried. After they get to the moon, everything happens very quickly. I feel that it would have been better, even possibly scarier, if the second half had been drawn out a bit more, with some more suspense. Another issue is that the characters didn't seem very fleshed out to me. While I enjoyed them, and liked what glimpses I got into personalities, I wanted to get to know them better. It would have been fascinating to hear about the kids' time in training, and their interactions with the adult astronauts, etc. The biggest problem is that when I finished the book I was confused. I like it when a story ties up loose ends, and I like having questions answered. But at the ending, there was a part which didn't seem right, and I kept re-reading to see if maybe I missed something. Unfortunately, I hadn't, which bothered me quite a bit. The last thing I will say is that I also appreciate the fact that it is a foreign book translated. Americans don't generally get the opportunities to read books from elsewhere in the world (especially if they have to be translated into English) and so I really liked that aspect of it as well, even if it didn't have that much bearing on the plot. Like I said, I couldn't put this book down. The plot was fun and quick and not similar to other science fiction type books I've read in the past. As a whole though, I wouldn't say that I liked this book, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to most people, but if you like scary, you will most likely enjoy the experience.