Kate Reads

The Single Girl's Guide to Marrying a Man, His Kids, and His Ex-Wife: Becoming A Stepmother With Humor And Grace - Sally Bjornsen I'm not especially thrilled with this book. I've read a bunch of books about becoming a step-mother and what it means. I was fine with this one, until the chapter discussing whether or not a step-mother should have their own children. Some of the reasons listed as pros were: then you'll be part of the "mommy club," you'll get a place in your husband's extended family, your step-children are a built in family for your kid, and now you'll understand what your step kid's bio mom feels like whenever she hands over her kids for a weekend.What? What happened to having a kid because you wanted a kid? A better discussion would have been, how do we discuss this with our step-children? How do we make them secure in the fact that their dad will still love them just as much? If the kids aren't custodial, how do we make sure they still feel like our house is their house? How do I adjust from part time parenting to full time parenting? Not, here's why I should have a kid- because of all these superficial reasons that really are all about wanting to fit in. If somebody needs to have a baby to boost their relationships and become part of their husband's family, they shouldn't be having one. If I skipped that chapter, I would have been absolutely okay with this book. It was "sassy" as advertised, and spoke a lot more to my age group than a lot of other step mom books I've read (I'm in my early 20s) so that was nice. Maybe I'll change my mind about those reasons to have a baby as I get older, but I doubt it, and I don't think that was useful or helpful information at all.