Kate Reads

By a Thread - Jennifer Estep By a Thread surprised me, I have to say. Honestly, my biggest complaint about books one through five was the constant repetition of the phrase “get dead.” Gin probably said something to that effect once every other page, and it was distracting and annoying. I got it. She is an assassin. Things could happen and she could get dead. I’ve read other reviews that pointed out the frequent mention of her knives, her ice and stone magic, and other things being repeated in general. True, there is a bit of repetition, but by book six, I frequently need the reminder of what happened in the previous books to understand some of the smaller points.In By a Thread, Gin goes off on vacation with her sister, Bria, and their respective love interests. Of course she soon discovers some local nastiness going on, with an extremely powerful vampire at the head of it. And doubly of course, she has to kill said vampire. She’s an assassin. Duh. I was worried about where this book would go, because for the first five books, Gin was so focused on killing Mab Monroe (which took five books) that it seemed like anything after that success would feel anti-climactic.Luckily, this book wasn’t boring at all. By putting Gin in a new environment, there was a new bad guy, new supporting characters, and the opportunity for Gin’s relationship with her sister to grow. There was actual substance to the feelings and emotions surrounding the two of them, and it was interesting to watch the dynamic change over the course of the book. Also, Gin’s former love interest, the man who ditched her, shows up again, and I really appreciated Gin’s reaction to him.One annoyance is that it seemed awfully easy for Gin to kill the vampire antagonist, while it took her five books worth of action to kill Mab Monroe. But now I am really curious about what direction the next book will take, with Gin and Co. heading back home.So, despite the fact that the characters are a bunch of magic using bad asses, I really could relate to the emotions and interactions, and that gave the book the bit of push it needed. This was a great quick little read, and definitely worth it for fans of the earlier books.